4/17/2013

Upcycle project of the week: Turn a robe into a rug

Faced with a robe that was too big for me even when I was pregnant I decided to get to work.  Too nice for the rag pile, I set my mind to creating a bathroom rug.


Step one:  
Using the back panel of the robe, cut the largest rectangle you can into strips (using one full half) and strips that don't disconnect (using the second half).  If you notice, the top makes one continuous line and the bottom is all connected on the bottom.

Notice I gave some variety to my cutting to add visual interest.  I alternated thin strips with thick.


Step Two:
Begin weaving
Taking the inside-most strip, begin weaving through from left to right.  Repeat with the next strips, alternating between over and under. 


Step Three:
Stitch the middle of each square with bright thread.  Done!